Klaipėdos uosto istorija Port of Klaipeda history
Laivybos aprašymas. Port of Klaipeda history.
Port of Klaipeda is the Southeast coast of the Baltic Sea. It is located in Klaipeda strait, connecting the Baltic Sea and freshwater lagoon – The Curonian Lagoon. The port is really important, because create over 23,000 work place and takes 4,5% of total GDP of Lithuania. This port is also ice-free, that does not freeze even during very cold winters and guarantees smooth traffic. The port accepts gross tonnage vessels: larger than 95000 DWT bulk carries and larger than 16000 DWT tankers. Is the leader among the ports of Baltic Sea – well-coordinate operations and hinterland transport ensure the operations of intermodal transport.
Port of Klaipeda history counts from 1252, when the Livonian Order built Memelburg castle near the Klaipeda strait. The castle was built on the island of the Dane river, near its mouth. There is no doubt that the construction of the castle has been widely used in ships, because since 1254, installing the brick castle, the necessary materials they probably had to be brought from abroad. Gradually, near the castle grows city so intensified and sea links. 1258 Klaipeda (Memel then) received Lübeck law.